Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Lotos-Eaters

It took longer than I expected, but I finally finished another mitten design. "Lotus Mittens" is my tenth Ravelry pattern! Since it's (nearly) September, and ten is a nice number, I'm offering the Lotus Mittens for free. You can download the pattern here with a Ravelry account.

 I had some fun with this pattern, modelling it after the traditional Norwegian style of mittens with which I first fell in love. Instead of a Selbu rose, however, I came up with this stylized lotus blossom. Come to think of it-- knit it in red, and it becomes a poinsettia! But that's neither here nor there.




I love the slightly-odd lotus blossoms mixed with the beautiful Knit Picks Stroll yarn. I used Sapphire Heather (the heathered colour yielded amazing depth-- like a dark, shimmering pool) and Granny Smith. Perhaps this was an odd combination to choose, but the colours just pop when paired together.

 The mittens were in part inspired by Tennyson's "The Lotos-Eaters", a weird and mysterious poem based upon an episode in
The Odyssey. You can read the full poem at the University of Toronto's poetry archive.

In other news, only two days until I head out to New Brunswick! I'm looking forward to some relaxing mitten-knitting, as well as cramming as many fun activities into my days as are humanly possible. Although I grew up in Ontario, the Maritimer blood in me always craves the salt air of the Bay of Fundy. Now how to decide how much yarn to bring...

5 comments:

  1. Love it!! I'm enjoying working on my Lilac Mitts. They're my first color work pattern.

    What kind of needles are you using in that picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are Knit Picks Harmony DPNs (size 2.25 mm). I love the colours and smoothness of the wood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care with that hurricane coming your way at the weekend!!!! Magifox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing mittens. I've been thinking of designing some Selbu inspired mittens to use when we go to Norway from Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these! I've been working on a similar pattern, but I like these much more.

    ReplyDelete