Monday, August 02, 2010

Spectacular, spectacular!



I love the Baz Luhrmann film Moulin Rouge! The lush costumes, creative music usage and (let's face it) gorgeous leading man all contribute to making this one of my favourite films. When I was in Paris, my friend and I visited the section of Montmartre with my father, and did the can-can on the front step-- much to the chagrin of visiting patrons who scuttled past our camera as fast as possible. I think our dance ended with my father dragging us off rather quickly after the club bouncers got wind of us.


One of the interesting things about Moulin Rouge! is the inclusion of the character Toulouse-Lautrec, along with allusions to his paintings. Art Nouveau, the Belle Epoque, vibrant colours and whirling figures-- I could look at paintings from that period for hours (and frequently do, when I'm supposed to be working on something else). 


So. I designed a new mitten pattern based on the Moulin Rouge. It is up on Ravelry now, and I am super excited with the way it turned out, especially since it did not start in an auspicious way. The yarn I originally chose turned the Art Nouveau design to a rather tacky mariachi band. I hate frogging, but frog I did and shelled out for the beautiful Estelle Arequipa (colourway 206). While the Arequipa was thinner than the Knit Picks Stroll (colourway Buckskin), it worked beautifully and provided exactly the look I was imagining. And the alpaca-- luscious!

You can download the pattern from Ravelry here, or click here to add it directly to your cart.


No comments:

Post a Comment