Saturday, January 15, 2011

Chrysanthemums in Knitty!


The Winter 2011 Knitty went up today, and lo and behold, there amongst the beautiful socks and sweaters and hats and other patterns-- my Chrysanthemums!



I designed these mittens to echo the flower patterns seen frequently these days in home decor and fashion, with a cuff that suggests the lacy, pleated sleeves of Victorian blouses. Charting the blossom petals to get everything just right was definitely the most difficult aspect, but I think the end result captured the look I had first imagined. I wanted a more delicate, less geometric design than many of my other patterns-- something that would look forward to spring even in the midst of a harsh Canadian winter. The Louet Gems was a nice fingering weight to work with, adding the rusticity of a traditional mitten yarn but with a very smooth ply. 

The mittens did not get off to an auspicious start, however. When I was knitting the first test pair for Knitty's Deep Fall submission deadline, I managed to commit a classic mitten-newcomer mistake. After all the mittens I've made, you would think I would be smart enough to avoid it. But no. No. You see, it was the night before the submission deadline, and I was racing desperately to finish the mittens and block them in preparation for photos the next day. I put the left hand on, and then the right... except... something's wrong... 


Oh. Dear. God. I knit two left hands. With no time to spare, I had two left hand mittens. TWO. LEFT. HANDS.

Some creative photography, tears, and a few bottles of anxiety pills later, and I submitted the pattern to Knitty for consideration. While it didn't fit their look for Deep Fall, they sent me the lovely Louet Gems yarn (in cream and pewter) to knit a new pair for the Winter 2011 issue.  This time I knit a left hand AND right hand. I think I rechecked that chart about 43 times. The rest is Knitty history!

You can access the pattern for free at Knitty.com by clicking here. If you have any questions about the pattern, please feel free to contact me at Ravelry or via email at hedda (dot) knits (at) gmail (dot) com.

Special thanks to my good friend Melissa Flynn, who assisted with photography!


25 comments:

  1. ooh, busted! :) just kidding. you covered well and i'm glad it all worked out in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mittens. You so rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! The mittens are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are incredibly lovely. I may have to work up the courage to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never done a stranded mitten (or anything else!) before, these have inspired me to do so!! Beautiful pattern, thanks so much for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, everyone! And Amy, I'm fairly certain my initial pattern submission was absolutely dripping with anxiety. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! That's a lovely mitten pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So lovely and delicate!
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your pattern in Knitty! Your mittens are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GORGEOUS! (As are all of your patterns, so no shock there.) Am I a terrible person for finding the two left mitts story strangely comforting? It's nice (as a beginner) to know that the masters make mistakes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I just ordered some Louet Gems to make these! I'm curious, though, which colors did you knit it in for fall? I'm using sage and natural to do these, because I think those colors will coordinate with my brown coat a little better. I do love the pewter, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are lovely. Congratulations! They are being placed in the queue even as we speak...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your beautiful mitten pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found your blog via Knitty - I absolutely adore those mittens, they went straight to my Ravelry queue! Also, love love love your hat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The mittens are absolutely gorgeous but what caught my eye was the hat. Did you make it? It is exactly what my daughter would love & I've been promising her a hat for 3 years now. I'd really appreciate it if you could point me toward the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love everything about this design! It reminds me of a set of beautiful embroidered pillows made by my grandmother. I can't wait to knit these mittens. Thanks so much for sharing the pattern, and congratulations on the publication!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! I just saw your mittens and...fall in love! They're beautiful! Cheers from Warsaw!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is my favourite pattern in the Winter Knitty! I'm glad I discovered them (and you). You have so many beautiful designs, it's hard to decide what to knit first.

    By the way, I also live in Ottawa. Perhaps we'll run into each other at Knit Knackers...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really like the mittens...so much detail. I love the hat and the scarf too...very matchy-matchy without going too far.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely beautiful mittens. If my to-do list weren't hurting my neck from staring up at it I would put it in in a second. I see a Chrysanthemum (didn't even try to spell that, just copied yours) hat to complete the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you everyone!

    Regarding my hat, I purchased the cloche at Banana Republic, and bought the flower on Etsy here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/vaivanat?section_id=5088628

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are beautiful. I am an aspiring botanist and I have such a hard time in the winter when all the flowers are gone. I think I will make these mittens in a bright color to keep my spirits up until spring. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Hedda!
    I just finished my Lilac mittens and thank you very much! I just love them. My thumb only was too short for two flovers, so I made only one...
    Chrysanthemums are the next mittens I am going to knit!
    Best wishes frow snowy Finland
    Auli
    virveriikka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey.... I love your pattern!! But I have a question I'm hoping you will answer. Nobody on ravelry seems to have mentioned this, so I assume I am making a newbie mistake. I'm finished my cuff with 74 stitches, but the first row of the main chart has 75 stitches. Am I reading something wrong? I think I will just make one and continue on, but would love to have an answer to this little problem.

    Thanks!

    Fellow Ottawa Knitter

    ReplyDelete